Shop Policies  My Account  Shopping Cart

February 26, 2012

Hello, Ginger!!!

Bean Up The Nose Art is happy and lucky to introduce you to terrific Ginger McCleskey, of Queen of Hearts Cards, Etc. . . . she's our new sales rep here in Northern California!!!

(Photo courtesy Ginger and Queen of Hearts Cards, Etc. Facebook page.)

Ginger has been a sales rep for greeting card and gift sales for 25 years. Wow! We admire all the knowledge, skills and get-up-and-go this represents. Let's find out more about her, shall we?!?!

What is the job like?

I spend approximately 75% of my time on "road sales," and 25% of my time is office work. Most of my time on the road is on day trips, and I usually travel after the morning commute, and return home before the evening commute. For those trips to farther destinations within my territory (such as trips to the Monterey Bay or to Mendocino County), I usually plan overnight trips. My territory extends from Fort Brag, in Mendocino County, south to Big Sur, in Monterey County.

I call on independent stores, and some locally-owned chains, such as Books, Inc. The types of stores I call on include book stores, gift stores, boutiques, galleries and restaurants.

I am largely my own boss -- occasionally, a vendor will contact me with a lead or make suggestions about how they would like me to expand business for them, but ultimately, every decision about which lines I represent, which stores I will call on, and how I spend my work-related time and energy is up to me. Fortunately for the artists and manufacturers I work with, I have a strong work ethic, and am self-motivated and self-disciplined!

About how many lines do you carry?

I am currently working with about 50 manufacturers, so I am quite full up on lines right now. I am not looking for more lines, but I am usually willing to consider looking at a new line. Having said that, I am many months behind responding to artists who have contacted me looking for representation.

(Here's Ginger with one of the artists/lines she found at the National Stationery Store last year . . . "Just Eleanor." Photo courtesy Queen Of Hearts Cards, Etc. Facebook page.)

Do you sell other items, too?

Yes! Many of my card lines offer related gifts such as journals (or notebooks), boxed cards (including invitations and announcements), magnets and prints; some offer less-common items, ranging from luggage tags, soaps, baby onesies, t-shirts, rubber stamps and coloring books, to pendants, tea towels, decorative pillows, limited-edition prints, and hand-carved birds. In addition, I represent a few gift lines, including a handmade paper line, a candle line, a line of oilcloth bags, and a line of cardholders, passport covers, wallets, etc.

What are your favorite, and least favorite, parts of the job?

I am a people person, and a problem-solver. I enjoy most aspects of what I do, especially anything around working with customers and/or providing vendors with the information they need to make their lines better. One important point: I am not really much of a sales person. What I feel I provide is service -- I find great card and gift lines, and bring them to my stores, who try them and hopefully sell them. For me, it's all about helping other small businesses. What works for my stores will benefit my vendors, in the form of re-orders, and will ultimately benefit me! So far, this seems to be working . . . .

Judging by the stack of files and papers on my desk, I would have to admit that my least favorite part of the job seems to be filing . . . . [Bean Up The Nose Art note: we feel you, sister!]

When you're not working, what else do you like to do?

I do work long hours, but in my limited spare time, I dance (mostly West Coast Swing, which is a contemporary sort of swing dance), and enjoy walking around this beautiful area in which I live. I'm going to be doing more blogging soon, too! Working on a website and blog now . . . .

You can find out more about Ginger at that site. Click here :)

We are happy and grateful to have Ginger representing us here at Bean Up The Nose Art. Her spirit suits us to a "T." We love her kindness, humor, savvy, independence, creativity and connectivity. Thanks a bunch for being our rep, Ginger!!! YOU RULE!!!

1 comment:

Heidi Rand said...

Great profile, Tamara. I think to most of us what a rep does is pretty mysterious. Thanks for the in-depth look!

 
 Footer