Shop Policies  My Account  Shopping Cart

November 24, 2010

Month of Gratitude, Day 25: Family

I am grateful for my family . . . both "of origin," and "of creation."

It has taken the enormous gifts of time, grace and luck for me to include the "of origin" part and mean it completely and sincerely.  Because we got off to a very rocky start, which was then compounded by many bumps and misunderstandings along the way, which were themselves complicated by lots of "isms" and other fragilities . . . and mostly, by the lack of any of us knowing anything about how to find a good way to perceive each other operate side by side among our inevitable differences.  In short, it was pretty much a hot mess for everyone involved for a fairly long time.  

Add to that:  I was even more of a demanding and judgmental pill than I am now.  Which you can ascertain in my, "Hey, you -- listen up!" stance here with my mom.  

Here's me with my dad.  You can tell that even then, I was quite sure I knew a better way to do things than everyone I saw operating around me.  And I was going to let you know about it, too.  Right before I stuck a bean up my nose.

Here's me with my brother Corey.  Who had to endure being bossed around.  A lot.

But miraculously, time allows things to change.  In fact, it's turning us all into some darned fine human beings.  For which I am immensely grateful.  Here, Clarke and I are at Teatro Zinzani (if you haven't been, GO TONIGHT!) with my stepmom Nancy, my dad, and my terrific half-sister Kim.
  
And many Thanksgiving Day thoughts here to loved ones who have passed, especially Mom and Danny.

Now, as for the family-of-creation.  Also takes some time to figure out how things work.  I am profoundly grateful for the abilities of folks to get along these days . . . where the years of teasing and related micro-parenting have finally passed, and we can enjoy each others' company and gifts.  Like we did at the Maui Relay this year.  Here, step-son Erik, daughter Meryl, Clarke and I, and Meryl's boyfriend Chris enjoy the post-race relief. 

Not in the race -- but we love him, anyway -- was son Adam, and his fiancee Christine:

These are some pretty darned fabulous folks.  I am incredibly lucky to be their mom, and nearly-mom-in-law.  If you are a parent, you know I could go on for about 100 blogspots about the whole deal.  Let me just say here that these kids know how to roll with the punches and take risks, and every single one of them has an amazing work ethic.  And they are funny and smart, and kind and sarcastic, and a heck of a lot of fun to be around.  

One of the things I like best about us as a tribe is our communally contrarian nature . . . eschewing the traditional/conventional when it fits us better to do something else.  Like for instance, our "Alternative Holiday Celebration" each Christmas season, which enables everyone to spend time with relatives for whom it is critical to spend time on specific holiday days with each other.  Taking that into account, we e-mail back and forth in October about what day works for best for us to celebrate and leave the holiday days open for the more traditional folk.  And each year, one of the kids is responsible for coming up with three proposed activities for the day.  Then, we all vote.  Here's us at the 2008 winner:  Six Flags. 

These are the same terrific folks who decided a couple of years ago that it was adventurous to forego the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, and instead to eat together in a strip mall hof brau and see "Bad Santa."  It turned out to be one of our best Thanksgivings ever.  

Thank you, thank you, families of origin and creation.  Thanks for all of your individual creativity, love, kindness, and care.  Thanks for your group efforts at fun and support all along the way.  Thank you for all you have taught me over all these years.  I would be nothing without every single one of you.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!


No comments:

 
 Footer