Shop Policies  My Account  Shopping Cart

November 30, 2010

Month of Gratitude, Day 30: One, Love, All


One of my English professors told our class in a lecture, "Come on.  We all believe in something.  Otherwise, you couldn't write a check."  

His insight has stuck with me for now over 20 years.  His point:  it takes faith -- in something, or in many things -- to be able to operate in this world without seeing the direct results of an action the minute it occurs.  In other words, we trust in something.  We all do believe in something larger than ourselves.   Seriously.  Otherwise, how and why would we even get out of bed in the morning?  If we didn't believe that something larger -- whatever you might think it is -- was afoot, there would be no point in enduring that nasty moment when you pry your warm, happy self out from between the warm, snuggly covers and step into the relative cold of the room.  Of the day.  Of the world.  If not for the belief that there is some reason to get out of bed, we wouldn't.

When we think we don't believe, when we are in our darkest hours, it is good to know that we do believe in something.  Because we do write checks.  Because we do engage in activities each moment that demonstrate to ourselves that we are operating for SOME REASON.   

I hope that everyone knows her reason.  Because knowing your reason gives you access to stores of energy, courage, stamina, humor and grace that it seems you can't find unless/until you know your reason.

For me, the details of one's religion and spirituality are more private and sacred than are topics of even politics or money or sex.  I believe that everyone's spirituality -- even if it is a passionately-held atheism -- is a completely unique and personally-felt matter, and that it is vitally important to respect that part of each other, instead of assault and insult it.  I realize that concept itself is hurtful to some people.  Please know that no offense is intended, and I wish that I had the talent to articulate the one, love, all that I feel about this kind of acceptance.  Because there is a little kid part of me that feels like, if I just could find the words to express how my own One feels to me, there would be some hope of clarity and compassion in existing together side by side with all of our differences. 

I am grateful for my One.  For its unending solace, inspiration, imagination, companionship, tolerance, joy, humor, endless unfolding one love all.  And I am grateful for your One, whatever your One is.  

* * * * * * *
And I'm also grateful to the brave, kind souls who have posted during this Month of Gratitude, and for everyone who read along.  A surprising by-product of this month has been me learning that the more you pay attention to what you are grateful for, and the more you say it out loud for people to know, the more grateful you become generally.  Which is a real gift.  And, just like pull-ups!  The more we practice, the more we can do.  THANK YOU, GUYS!!!!  YOU ROCK!!!!

No comments:

 
 Footer